Monday, August 24, 2009

Timeline

Welcome, this is my first blog ever. I'm not used to broadcasting my life over the internet (okay, except for facebook), but I intend to keep up with this thing so that I can provide you with stories, photos, and updates on my life while serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer.

To bring us up to date, here is a general timeline of the pain that is federal bureaucracy I have endured just so I can live in a mud hut and continue to not make any money over the next two years! :)
  • Two essays and pages upon pages of questions (education, hobbies, work experience, volunteer experience, medical history, finances, love life) later, I officially submitted my Peace Corps application on January 28, 2009.
  • A couple of weeks later, I received a voicemail from my recruiter, Kyle Jessop, in the ATL regional office requesting an interview. After an hour of jumping up and down with excitement, I called him back and scheduled a phone interview for the next week.
  • The interview was a couple of hours long and ended with Kyle informing me that he wanted to nominate me for the Protected Areas Management program in Latin America.
  • March 12, 2009 I received my official nomination...woohoo!
  • Somewhere around this time I had my fingerprints done and filled out the legal/background forms and sent them off.
  • March 19, 2009 I receive my Medical Packet from the Peace Corps Medical Office.
  • March 23, 2009 I peed in a cup, gave 6 vials of blood, had a physical exam, eye exam, a tb skin test, and spent an hour and a half getting the paperwork filled out with my physician.  Also went to the dentist, had x-rays, some fancy kind of dental exam, and had more paperwork filled out.
  • March 24, 2009 I mailed my dental packet and receive Dental Clearance several days later.
  • Upon receiving my labwork results, obtaining endoscopy/hospitalization records from last fall, and having paperwork filled out by my lady doctor; I mailed my Medical Packet to the Office of Medical Services on March 30, 2009.
  • Way the hell later, on June 24, 2009, my screening nurse sends me a letter requesting additional information. As it turns out, the requested information was already included in the packet that I mailed. Unfortunately, when I called to discuss this with her, she was away on vacation for two and a half weeks! So, to avoid any further delay, I had my physician repeat info on a new form, and mailed it to her on July 6, 2009.
  • July 8, 2009 I receive Medical Clearance with no problems! This means that I can serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer in any country!!!
  • July 13, 2009 I receive a call from Yung-Mei, my Placement Officer. She informed me that she was ready to give me my official invitation to serve, but unfortunately, due to discrepancies about my language skills, she couldn't offer me the Latin American position. Bummer!!!
  • August 7, 2009 I received my invitation to serve in The Gambia!! Happy times!
  • August 14, 2009 the invitation packet arrived in the mail.  More paperwork, reading materials, and passport/visa info.
  • August 21, 2009 I created an updated resume and aspiration statement (what they quote you from if you die) in their requested formats, and mailed it off to the Country Desk Unit in Gambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment