Friday, February 5, 2010

Takin' Care of Business

I'm currently in the beginning of what's known as the "Three-Month Challenge" of my service.  It is a time to focus on integrating into the community, improving local language skills, and building a relationship with the host family.  However, I have also been keeping quite busy with networking, meetings, and work.  So far I have identified some really great opportunities to be of assistance, such as Developing Science Curriculum at the Primary School, Coastal Monitoring, Adult Literacy, GPS/GIS Training, Sustainable Fisheries Management, and working with the Scout Group.  I am also a Regional Coordinator for the National Tree Nursery Competition and will write more about that later as well!  

  Environmental Site Investigation with the National Environment Agency



Oyster Harvesters Co-Management Workshop


Discussing the benefits of working together.  My favorite one: UNITY


This was the only literate woman in the group; it brought tears to my eyes when she stood up and presented the results of our group's discussion.  There was a rush of pride and sense of empowerment that filled the room.


We're all in this together



Lunch and learn today



These pigs like to hang around for leftovers!






No comments:

Post a Comment